Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How to make a baby Blue Jean Rag Quilt

I'm totally in love with this quilt. Simple, easy.. just my style. I found this really cute green/blue print at Handcock fabrics that matches the blue jean perfect. Made this one for our grandson Scottie that's due in about 6 wks!! Plus we have 3 more coming by the end of December!! I better get sewing huh!!? LOL

 I used 4 in squares but you can use any size you want really. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller then 4 though. I got super lucky when I spoke with a friend that had at least over 100 blue jean squares already cut.. I know lucky me huh? :) So a cutting away I went. Had a bunch cut before I knew it!
First thing is first.. Take one blue jean square and one of the colored fabric squares, put them back to back. Line them up as best as you can, if it's off just a bit it won't matter. From corner to corner sew with your machine an "X". Do that to as many squares that you'll need. Mine was a 9x9 so that makes 81 squares to sew an X through. The bigger the squares the less you have to do. I thought about making the whole side blue jean but really liked mixing up all the different colors of jean and doing the checkered looked. I'll post the link to the video that helped me, explains it a little better then I can. :)

                                                   Sew together each square 1/2 inch in from edge.
                                            I sew all 9 rows then start sewing all the rows together.
 After you get it all sewed together throw it in the wash and dryer and make sure you change your lent trap after..wow never have I ever seen that much lent before. Posted the link below.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UQgeol-Zk&list=PL7B6E9E01C9F37D74&index=8&feature=plpp_video 
                                                 Like I said, one of the easiest blankets I've done! Enjoy!

1 comment: